May 9, 2008

Elmer's Washable School Glue and Quilts

A few months ago I heard that Sharon Schamber uses Elmer's washable school glue on her bindings. Now I was intrigued and very sceptical but hey I'll try again once. I figured the idea had to be great after all the awards she wins so glue must be one of her good friends.

I went a step, well actually several steps, further in my glue usage. Now I'm sure you know that no one pieces perfectly (especially me) therefore sometimes my intersections aren't always perfect. I read a long time back that some people baste their intersections to make them as perfect as possible ... nah not me .... I glue now.





I almost always have to piece my backs and sometimes (as you know) the seam can turn back on itself while quilting .... yep I glue them down. The yellow line only 'represents' the glue. They're so nice after pressing.

EDIT: I now only use dots of glue, then iron dry. There's no need to lay down a line of glue, dots work perfectly.








You want those thick seams usually from string blocks to lay nice and flat ..... glue them, I do.






AND I even glue my label onto the backing fabric before stitching it in place. It works out great and Prince Charming quilts over the label nicely. I like to quilt in my label so that it can't be removed without extensive frogging.





Check out Sharon's FREE YouTube videos ..... watch the 3 part "Binding the Angel" for her binding glue tips. Your bindings will be perfect and you'll have beautiful corners ... I promise (rather Sharon promises).



I'm SOLD on Elmer's washable school glue .... sure wish I owned stock. LOL

11 comments:

Jessica said...

OMG Sandy! I'm cracking up!! Do you remember that kid in Kindergarten (I think every class has one) - that used glue for everything and LOTS of it? That was you, wasn't it?! I've watched those youtube tutorials before but haven't had a quilt to bind since watching them....now I'm absolutely going to try it! ~Jessica

Kathy Raker said...

Sounds interesting, will check out the videos. You proved it works!

Anonymous said...

Love the glue stuff! I, too, startedusing it with the binding, and now use it for EVERYTHING!!!

Nini

jovaliquilts said...

Wow! Seems incredible, but sounds like it works!

Mary Johnson said...

OK, gluing those seams open is just a little much but I do like the idea of gluing the label on before quilting - I may have to try that one!

SandyQuilts said...

Mary I don't want the seam of my pieced backs flipping over on theirselves (is that a word) .... I'm and "A" personality. LOL

Jessica we girls have to stay busy ... glue everything. he he he

Irene said...

You come up with the greatest ideas! I think instead of Googling something, we should just ask you for the link!

Bet Ryan was beaming when he got the game ball - hopefully he'll enjoy it more now.

Anonymous said...

Argh! I wish I'd seen this before I sewed together the canopy top and bottom with ruffle for my daughter's crib! I had to rip half of the seam on one side because I was paying so much attention to keeping 3 layers of fabric together with just pins that I missed the fact that the bottom fabric was doubling up under the needle.

Shannon said...

Thank you for sharing that info. The videos were amazing. She is so smart.

kelly said...

what a good idea! i dread binding my quilts... maybe this will help :)

Anonymous said...

I never would have thought of that! Clever, and great that it washes out!